RETURNING TO THE FOLD


FROM GREATFOREST COURT

It will interest nobody reading this piece that I have a peculiar fondness for summer and everything to do with it. I only mention it because, where I happen to find myself, today is a sunny day, the sky is blue, and the quickly rising mercury is expected soar near the 80 degree (Fahrenheit) mark tomorrow.

Depending upon what part of the world you happen to find yourself in, this may seem unremarkable. Here on the Niagara Frontier, however, temperatures that high in April are, indeed, rare and are certainly very welcome, serving as a foretaste of the season to come. 

If spring is the season of renewal, then summer is the season of the fruit of that renewal. It is the sustainment of warm weather, sunny skies, lush greenery, open windows, and happy days of relaxation amidst a splendid soundtrack of birdsongs.

I liken my reintroduction to the Glennish atmosphere as something of a personal spring of renewal which heralds a long summer ahead. A former king, after all, may reasonably hope to enjoy the more relaxed and pleasant social aspects of Sconnish society while avoiding the sometimes thornier prospects of political controversy. Royalty, after all, although permitted a voice in Parliament, are not generally expected to exercise that privilege (and, indeed, I do not intend to exercise it).  

In the months prior to my decision to repatriate myself, I conversed at length with the king about what my role as a returning Sconnish monarch might entail. The nature of audiences with the sovereign is such that I will refrain from going into too much detail, although I think it is no breach of confidence to reveal that I confided to His Majesty that I would not make myself available for any political or administrative roles. Instead, I explained, I would make myself available for light ceremonial duties and to attend to other politically inconsequential tasks which he might care to assign me.

The King of the Sconnish, my own experience reminds me, has more mundane tasks on his plate than a constitutional monarch should have, and I am happy to offer my time and experience, therefore, to take some of those tasks off his plate from time to time as he asks me to. I have always felt that a monarch needs a willing auxiliary or two to assist with the performance of royal duties, and now the task falls to me to serve as such an auxiliary.

Now that I am a Sconnishman once again (although I am also a Hanoverian), it occurs to me that the landscape has changed somewhat since I found myself upon the Glennish throne. There are new names and new faces, and I hope that some of you, at least, will reach out to me to introduce yourselves and to say “hello”. It would be a very great pleasure, indeed, to get to know those of you who have arrived on these shores, so to speak, since my reign ended back in 2018.

Should any of you wish to drop me a note, feel free to contact me via email at glennishman@gmail.com

I will be only too pleased to hear from you, to answer any questions you might have for me, or to feature your questions here, on this blog, if you’ll permit me to.

I would invite you to feel welcome, too, to get to know a bit more about me, perhaps, by perusing my other blogs at your leisure:

THE HANOVER WORLD REPORT: A news blog (sometimes satirical) pertaining to the Kingdom of Great Hanover

PENUMBRAL EMANATIONS: An archival legal blog from my days as an associate justice of the high court of Westarctica

I will, from time to time, pen new entries to this particular blog in order to share with you my random thoughts about my experiences here, and, without objection from the lord provost, I will post links to those blog updates to this forum as I publish them.

For now, allow me to thank you for having me back. My thanks, too, for taking a moment to ingest these humble ruminations from the glen. 

The author of this blog, HIH The Prince James, 
reigned as King of the Sconnish from March 2014 to October 2018.


THE KINGDOM OF GREAT HANOVER . 2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE SUDDENNESS OF HER PASSING

CROWNING THE MAY QUEEN

AMERICANS AND THE MONARCHY